Thursday 4 June 2009

The Final Countdown (Part 1)

There are a couple reasons why I absolutely love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs: A) Karen O's masculine, dominating vocal presence and B) Nick Zimmer's unique, distorted drop-C tuned guitaring. For some reason, they took away both of these trademarks for their latest album "It's Blitz!". Karen O traded in her moans of pleasure for a more traditional, pop-ish delivery and Zimmer left his six-string for the keyboards. Basically they sound like Rilo Kiley now, which is a sad panda. The one carry-over from "It's Blitz!" is the first track "Zero", a soaring dedication to all their introvert loser fans (smart!). In honor of "Zero", here's my countdown of the top songs featuring the numbers twenty through zero:

[note: I decided against using songs with "Number" or "#" like "Duet For Guitars #2" by M. Ward, "Parts" like "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots Pt. 1" by The Flaming Lips and any song with more than one number in the title, like "Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35" by Bob Dylan which is a double-offense.]

20. "20th Century Boy" T. Rex

Marc Bolan was an interesting dude. As you can see he dressed in funny outfits as part of the awesome "glam rock" era (and looks frightening like Michael Jackson at 1:24 of the video). Cars were his greatest love. He owned several expensive hot-rods and wrote numerous songs about them but never learned to drive because he feared a premature death. Then he was killed in a car crash. So it goes. Good thing Devendra Bandart came along with a similar quivering sound and equally freaky persona.

19. "Hey Nineteen" Steely Dan

Fun fact: one of the early bands Donald Fagen and Walter Becker played with featured Chevy Chase on drums.

18. "I'm Eighteen" Alice Cooper

Written almost 40 years ago
, it's still exactly what every eighteen-year old is thinking.

17. "Edge of Seventeen" Stevie Nicks

I have to say that the backup singers in that video are amazingly rubbish.

16. "Sixteen Military Wives" The Decemberists

My family got Sirus satellite radio through our satellite television provider just about my sophomore year in high school. I would listen/watch Left Of Center, the college radio station, after school and discovered there My Morning Jacket, Spoon and this song by the Decemberists.

15. "15 Step" Radiohead

So apparently this was used in the end credits of "Twilight" and millions of tweens are now discovering Radiohead. Dammit.

14. "14 Days" Life Without Buildings


I had never heard about this band before I picked up their live album and fell in love with it. Singer Sue Tompkins talk-sings and repeats everything three of four times as if she's stuttering. Most people would find this to be really annoying but I think it's endearing. Plus her banter between songs is pretty cute.
(if the above player doesn't work, click here for mp3)

13. (tie) "Angels Standing Guard 'Round the Side of Your Bed" A Silver Mt. Zion

"Thirteen" Elliott Smith (Big Star cover)

I don't believe in ties. I hate them. But I really had no choice here; leaving out one of these songs would be a travesty to this list. I'm not sure what it is about 13 that brings out the heartbreak, but here it is. The ASMZ song is absolutely stunning, especially if you just lie back and focus on it. It will get to you, I promise. I do really like the original of "Thirteen" by Big Star, but Smith gives the song a little more emotion. There's something extremely haunting and sad about this video of him as a young singer-songwriter. It gives me goosebumps.

12. "Twelve Gates To The City" Joan Baez

This is an old blues traditional song that's been done by just about everyone. I'm partial to the Joan Baez version myself.

11. "Mornings Eleven" The Magic Numbers

Two pairs of brothers and sisters singing pretty songs. This is my favorite.

Check in next time for 10-0!

No comments:

Post a Comment